Sunday, December 30, 2012

What does the weekend mean to you?

At different points of our lives, and in different cultures the weekend is something totally different for everybody.  In my single and secular as opposed to observant life, the weekend was work and fun.  Throughout my life I loved working at night clubs, it made sense to me to dress up, have fun, and get paid while cocktail waitressing, bartending, or even performing with a troupe.  The interesting thing is that right before I met my husband, I was feeling ready to give up night work, it really does mess with your sleep, and I did take a lot of naps, but then the day would be lost.  I remember in my college days in Miami going straight from the after hours to the classroom, luckily there are all kinds of characters, so everyone dressed however they dressed, and I was definitely one of the characters.

My philosophy was always to put fun into the mix of anything I was doing.  It was ok not to get straight A's, B's were fine, as long as I was living life right along with my learning.  My parents always told us we had to get a Bachelor's Degree, luckily I found Hospitality Management, which was tourism, hotels restaurants, all about the business of it, but also cooking classes, engineering, law, and anything else pertaining to the industry.  It was a great degree, I learned a little bit of everything, which is my style.  I really admire my friends that were fully comitted to their education and had amazing goals, and it was their main focus.  I have never been a "main focus" kind of person, I feel claustrophobic with one thing in my life, so blessed now to have a family and work that I love, and there is all kinds of aspects to my work, THANK GOD!

It is so important to figure out what kind of person you are, and what you like, and keep on looking until you find it.

Now my weekends are about a wonderful Day of Rest, where my only focus is my family and my community.  No outside world distractions like TV, phone, car, or computer.  It really does feel like a break from it all, and the kids love the whole tradition, we walk to the synagogue, they love to play with their friends, they love the food and non stop celebrations about the beauty and balance of life, and lessons learned from the past.

Sundays are usually either errands, or a fun activity or birthday party, or even some work for me with Yoga classes and Beach Bootcamp.  Today we are all staying in, getting better from our sniffles and coughs, and the most important thing to me is that they go to school tomorrow, two days at home with all three, I AM EXHAUSTED :) Not much sleep, no time for mama to nurture my cold, its all good, with everyone out of the house tomorrow, I will be able to focus on me.  Luckily the baby is just fine, as usual, Thank God!

Happy Weekend,
However you choose to spend it,
Happy New Year,
Coach Yulia

Cruise ship life was a non stop weekend, took a lot of naps, shifts were from as early as 6am, of course meals and breaks in between.  I worked at the front desk, Purser, for a year, then 2 years as Cruise Staff, I had to drink with the passengers and make sure they were having a good time :)  It was some of the most fun adventures and memories.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment