Saturday, August 11, 2012

All Natural

What does that mean anyway?  You hear that phrase everywhere, food, birth, the way someone looks,etc.  The not so funny thing is that it doesn't really mean anything, especially where food is concerned.  It is an easy way to help sell products, its something that is general enough that it is allowed to be put on a label, but what does it really tell you?  Some of the food out there is poison, here are a few examples:

http://www.naturalnews.com/036724_toxic_foods_additives_avoid.html

Where birth is concerned, as far as I understand, all natural means no epidural, but people also think it means vaginal vs. c-section.  People love to ask that question to friends and strangers, just for the record all three of my births were no epidural and vaginal, Thank God, I have a very high pain tolerance, and it all happened int he way that I had hoped it would.  For some people medical intervention is absolutely necessary, everything is there for a reason, but honestly since the beginning of time women have been having babies, and I firmly believe 99.9% of the time the doctor is just there to catch the baby.  Also intervention leads to more intervention, so I recommend staying home as long as possible before going to the hospital.  I am also a realist, so I had a doula for my first two and labored at home as long as possible, but felt comfortable giving birth in the hospital, just in case.  I do not worry in advance, but I know my personality, and if God forbid something needed a doctor's attention,  I didn't want to stress on the drive to the hospital.  I respect every woman to do her research and choose a way to birth that feels best for her.

My performance days :)
Then there is the all natural of how someone looks, what does that mean anyway, especially the phrase, all American girl, when many American girls are getting plastic surgery on their body and face to look like every other all American girl.  The funny thing is when I moved to California, I was surprised how many different nationalities there were, when all you see on TV is beautiful blondes that are surgically enhanced.  I love how in LA there are a million different areas that are their own little world, for instance Koreatown, Little Tokyo, the Russian hood of West Hollywood, Chinatown, and even where I live, the Jewish world of Pico/Robertson, with every nationality of Jew you can imagine.  The best part is in each neighborhood, the ethnic language is spoken, you feel like you are really in that country sometimes, everything from restaurants, to stores, to night clubs.

I have lived in Los Angeles for almost 12 years, and I am married 5 next week, so for 7 years I never heard of this Jewish area where I live now.  I used to pass by a fringe of it when I drove to my Yoga class, which is a few blocks down, and I would see people going to synagogue, and enjoy the feeling it gave me - little did I know it was a preview in to the way my life would become :)




I love either being a simple, no make up yoga gal, or the other extreme of super diva :)
Coach Yulia

1 comment:

  1. MAGNIFIQUE Yulia on this photo. U talked so well of LA that U give envy to go and live there U know jajaja I always enjoy sharing the culture with all the nationalities ;@)

    ReplyDelete