Saturday, September 15, 2012

Hot Winds

Today we had our day of rest, and the Santa Ana winds decided to make their appearance for the first time this year.  The LA weather we have been having has been odd, but I always laugh that we are shocked when we don't have our hollywood perfect weather of sunny with a cool breeze.  I grew up in Miami, where we live in Air Conditioning, so you only feel the humidity in spurts.  It was so odd for me to go to places that are nice on the outside, or even cold on the outside, with no air conditioning inside, it just felt so stuffy.

Now the place we live, we have one A/C unit that works great, the rest of the house stays really cool, its an old building that keeps the heat out.  The only thing we need is our ceiling fans on, and we have a standing fan as well to circulate the air.  I think for me its this circulated air that I need, otherwise it just feels yucky, stuffy, and sweaty.  I am not a sweaty person, but I think after a hot blooded husband and three hot blooded kids that took after him, my chemistry has changed.  I am in my last days of nursing as well, I think my hormones are all out of whack. 

This morning my husband took the kids to synagogue and I rested with the baby, our place felt great.  Once we got up, we got ready, I stepped outside and felt the blow drier effect, same effect is in Las Vegas, and all over Arizona.  It's also interesting how in Miami the sun is not that strong, it is super humid.  Out here the sun is so strong and hot, if I am in it too long, I feel queasy, but the amazing thing is that in the shade it is nice and cool, except for when the Santa Ana Hot Winds come to visit.

In Hebrew it is amazing that the word for wind also has a few very intense meanings:
 
Ruach: breath, wind, spirit
Original Word: ר֫וּחַ
Transliteration: ruach
Phonetic Spelling: (roo'-akh)

Spirit and breath, so beautiful, the source of life physically and spiritually, it so amazing how the wind outside affects us as intensely.  My community is embarking on a month full of holidays where we reflect on our past year, ask forgiveness for our actions, make new goals and commitments, and start over with a clean slate.  I am so excited for the year ahead, it starts tomorrow night, we have plans to celebrate with good friends, eats apples, honey, pomegranate, round challa bread, and many other delicious and sweet foods to spill over into the year ahead.

Stay cool everyone and please stay hydrated,
This too shall pass,
Have a Great Weekend,
Shavua Tov,
L'Shana Tova,
Yulia
A shout out to my Babushka Anna, who turned 97 this September, in this pic - 88th birthday, my mom is behind me, and she just told me that my grandmother's memory has gone, and she thinks she is forever 88, so amazing.  From her my mom and I get such a happy spirit, complete trust in that things will be ok, we love life to the fullest, and bring light to everyone around.
 

1 comment:

  1. God bless your babushka :@) so she is 97 wao, where is she living in the States 2?

    ReplyDelete