Friday, June 7, 2013

One week away from our trip - remembering my Father in Law





Tuvia Edelshtain, my father in law, passed away November of last year.  I knew him for five years,he was the first person I met from my husband's family and we instantly bonded.  As you see in this picture he was a sea man in his 20's for the Israeli Army.  He is a war hero, and has travelled quite extensively.  I worked on cruise ships for 3 years, and love the sea and travel.  I loved to hear his stories, and would loved to have known him then, as a young, strong, healthy soldier.  He met my mother in law when he was injured in a hospital in Israel, she was his nurse.









His health was back and forth once we met, and the pictures you see below capture him at his healthiest.  He really took care of me during my pregnancy and helped cook for the babies, he was a wonderful cook.  He was born in Romania, and knows some of the Slavic dishes that I grew up with.  He spoke seven languages, to his kids in Hebrew and to me in Russian.  The rest were Spanish, Yiddish, English, Italian, and Portuguese.

Tuvia and family moved to Los Angeles from Israel, and eventually my husband and his father moved to New York and had a trucking business, the big trucks, the semi's, cross country.

Tuvia is on my mind as we are one week away from take off to our RV cross country road trip.  He always talked about travelling, he would of given us his blessing, or maybe even came along for the ride.  Because of him my husband has this skill, it is like nostalgia for my husband to drive these big machines.  Since his passing he has also blessed us in many other ways.  We will be thinking of him on the road and talking about him on the road.  He was a very special person, and I feel so grateful that I got to know him even for a little bit.

Shabbat Shalom,
Coach Yulia
Saba and Eli Tzvi at 2 months old
Saba, Yehoyada, and little Ziona Sofia at 8 months

No comments:

Post a Comment