Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Minuses and Pluses

I had to put the minuses first because when you have a challenge the best thing to do is to figure it out and most of the time there is a plus on the other side.  Change is good, conflict is good, breakdowns are good, it is all God's way for us to experience this world and grow, growth is good, moving forward is good.  When you experience something unsavory it makes you appreciate when you finally get to where you always wanted to be.  When you meet the right person, you realize how wonderful they are and how wonderful you fit together, and everything else you have been through proves it over and over again.

Last year my husband had an idea, he wanted to get an RV and surprise my parents in Atlanta.  Without hesitation I said LETS DO IT!  I am a big adventurer, I have travelled a lot and it really feeds my soul.  My husband has mostly seen the country in his trucking days with his father, so he just really likes the road, not necessarily the travel.  Especially with young kids when you go on a plane, you have to deal with them on a plane, plus carry all the extra luggage, car seats, strollers, it is just a lot.  My husband likes to hang at home, and I like to take the kids out.  So when the opportunity was presented to me, I jumped on it, and it was amazing, the kids had a wonderful time.

This year we were more bold, we decided to do cross country visit everyone, decided to take six weeks, finally found a decent deal, and then a day before we were supposed to pick it up, the RV place decided it wanted to charge us more, even though we gave a deposit, even though we registered on their website.

I was so upset, there is no way this place was going to ruin my summer, my kids summer, there was no other option for alternate plans in my book.  My husband started looking around and found a private owner, private owners like truckers, they like families, and they mostly want to cover their monthly payment, unlike RV rental places that charge an arm and a leg for people taking long weekends.  We got a much better deal, but the minus is our trip will be totally different, but now the plus just happened.

Originally we were going to go to visit family and friends in Atlanta and Miami, then go to the Northeast, through Niagara Falls and into Michigan, where I have a friend, and will be one of the states that my husband has never been to, he has been to 48.  So now we can knock off the final state that he can see without air/sea, Montana, Yellowstone, he had the idea this morning, and I am super excited.  Not sure if it is set in STONE (pun intended) but the option is amazing, this makes it all worth the adventure.  We will have to skip the Northeast completely and then finish off in Denver like we originally planned before coming back home.

So it is not what we originally envisioned, but it will be its own amazing adventure.  I am focusing on being present and seeing the good in all of this.  Sad to miss seeing some good friends and family, but our travels are just beginning!

Roll with the punches,
What does that mean?

McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.

roll with the punches
Fig. to absorb the force of a blow, as in boxing. You have to learn to roll with the punches. Accept what is dealt to you. Paul could never roll with the punches. He always had to get even.


roll with the punches(American & Australian) to be able to deal well with difficulties or criticism The poor woman has been jeered at and threatened with her life, but she just rolls with the punches.


roll with the punches
to adjust to difficult events as they happen roll with it She had to perform shortly after her brother died, but she rolled with the punches and put on a great show.
Etymology: based on boxing, from the literal meaning roll with the punches (step back or to one side as you are being hit), so that you do not receive the full force of the attack


You Gotta Roll With It Baby,
Coach Yulia


No comments:

Post a Comment