Saturday, June 8, 2013

Anise

So there is an awesome salad that we make every week, some people call it Fennel, some people call it Anise, so I thought I would look it up, check below for the interesting details.  My husband cuts it into bite size pieces and adds olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and paprika - YUM!

Are fennel and anise the same thing?

Although they share a similar taste profile—reminiscent of black licorice—fennel and anise are two different plants. The botanical name of anise is Pimpinella anisum while the botanical name of fennel is Foeniculum vulgare. Both anise and fennel belong to the Apiaceae family.

In addition to the fact that they share a similar flavor, what often creates confusion among these two plants/foods is that fennel is often referred to as anise. Since the whole plant (bulb, stalks, fronds) of fennel is consumed while it is usually just the seeds from the anise plant that are eaten, if you see a vegetable-like plant called "anise," chances are that it is actually fennel.

There is one further complication to the anise and fennel story. Historically, several different plants have been referred to as "anise." One version of anise you may also be familiar with is star anise (also called Chinese anise). This form of anise gets its name from the eight-pointed star that forms a pod for its seeds. The seeds from star anise provide a very similar flavor to the Pimpinella plant described above, and they are commonly consumed in China and other parts of Asia where the tree that produces them commonly grows. Star anise has its own scientific name (Illicum verum) and unlike fennel and anise, it is not a part of the Apiaceae family but rather the Illiciaceae family.

So the reason I am writing about this, is we had a good friend over for Shabbat dinner yesterday, and he asked about the salad and I said anise, and my daughter says "I AM A NIECE, AND MY UNCLE IS MICHA.  Here is a great picture of him helping his friend chop and load firewood.  A big congratulations to my favorite brother in law for his new position as the Director of Rooms in Mammoth Lakes, CA at the http://www.thesierranevadaresort.com/

So we had a wonderful Shabbat, there was a Brit Mila, circumcision ceremony that I stopped by to wish Mazal Tov, and felt so blessed that I did.  I was able to make the mom have a moment of peace while I ran around a bit and got the people she needed.  I was grateful to God for giving me the gift of being in the right place at the right time, and responding to my gut to be of service.  All of these ceremonies are beautiful, meaningful, and special, but for the mom it is a bit overwhelming, usually eight days after the baby is born.  Emotions, Hormones, Sleep Deprived, and just dealing with everything going on, it made me really tune into how women need women, we get each other, we need to support each other, stay strong for each other, because life will keep happening, which is a good thing.  My amazing community does exactly this and I feel so blessed to be a part of the support, and was completely supported during my pregnancies, birth, and even now with my children - Thank God.

We were invited for lunch with a wonderful family, our kids go to school together, we had a great time and a delicious meal.  My husband went to see a friend, I fell asleep with the baby and the kids played very nicely. Then we woke up and the Cheerio Disaster was upon us.  While relaxing in the kids room with the baby, they were laughing and screaming, running all over, my son told me there is a mess, but I thought whatever, I will clean it let them get tired!  So the last straw was when they started throwing cheerios into their own room.  It was already close to bed time, so I put my "oh no you didn't" face on and told them they had to go to sleep immediately.  I was explaining to them that they not only wasted food and trashed the living room, but once they started to bring food into their own room, I WAS DONE.  They went to bed because tomorrow we have a lot of fun planned, and I told them they have to listen if they want to enjoy the day with me tomorrow.  The picture below gives you an idea of how much cheerios were sacrificed, and they really were in every nook and cranny - OY VEY.

May we only have these problems,
Enjoy the rest of your weekend,
Shavua Tov,
Coach Yulia


No comments:

Post a Comment