Monday, May 7, 2012

What not to say to a pregnant woman or new mother


I am all about being straight up

and speaking your mind

but when complete strangers are asking personal questions

 or touching your belly,

um,  I don't think so!



It's funny how when you are at that stage before you announce your pregnancy and people don't know if you gained some weight or there is a bun in the oven.  One of my good friends says the only appropriate thing to say to a woman at any stage or age is "You look fabulous," and leave it at that.  Ultimately the goal is to have a healthy baby and a healthy mama, it makes no sense to start a workout regimen or go on a, wait for it, "diet."  Yes you should watch what you eat, because honestly you are not eating for two.  I just read that we only need 300 extra calories in our second and third trimester.  But I am also in my Yoga and listen to yourself philosophy, telling people to enjoy, indulge, but not all day, every minute.  I feel so lucky to be on a Nutrition Program that does not take away like a diet, but adds what I am missing.  Most people are not getting enough Protein in their day, or all of the vitamins and minerals that you need to help the body function properly.  I would be happy to tell you your personal protein intake that you need daily, please message me for more info.  Also what many people are missing is hydration, try to have water with you wherever you go.  Stay away from juices, sodas, and even sports drinks which are high in simple sugars, which turn into body fat.

Tip of the Day: Excess once in a while, IS Moderation!

So there are things out there that are good for us, but if we have it in excess, it hurts us as well.  Take coffee for example, many people need it to function, and many people use it to curb their appetite.  I am all about listening to your body, but eating is good my friends.  I DO NOT BELIEVE IN NOT EATING!  Anyone interested in a Free Wellness Profile, please message me and we will figure out an easy to do, yummy, and affordable Nutrition Program for YOU :)

So back to what not to say to a pregnant woman (or to someone you are not sure is pregnant):

*How far along are you?
*What is your due date?
*Is it a girl or a boy?
*What's the baby's name?
*Let me tell you my horrifying pregnancy and birth story!  To this my friends I have the best advice, just tell them "My Doctor Told Me Not To Listen," to pregnancy and birth stories, and nice way to say - GO AWAY!  When I was still pregnant I went to the Santa Monica Farmers Market on Main Street, and when I was walking to my car, somebody that did not look very stable, reached out and touched my belly.  I was horrified, and just kept walking, no comment.  Please do not touch a pregnant woman's belly just because.


Here is the top 3 of what not to say to a new mother:
*Are you Nursing?
*Is the baby sleeping through the night? (most babies need to eat every 2-3 hours)
*Asking anything about their weight or how their body looks

I was in the post office the other day with my older kids, and my son Eli Tzvi loves telling everyone he has a new brother.  So I told the gentleman that was helping the people in line that I have a 6 week old.  So he says "and another one on the way," referring to my belly that I am working on as we speak.  So I tell him AGAIN, I just had a baby, he is 6 weeks old :)  Then I go over to see my father-in-law, last night I took my first exercise class since baby, Zumba, it was a blast.  So I am wearing a tight workout outfit, and he says to me, "You still have a belly," um DUH!  Once we give birth, we are burning 500 extra calories nursing, and the recommendation is actually the same as any personal trainer will tell you for anyone wanting to get healthy and lean. Eat smaller meals throughout the day, smaller portions, healthy snacks every 2-3 hours.

Bottom line is some people are private, and if they want to share great, but not everyone wants their personal life on a BLOG - HA HA HA...

Signing off, Enjoying my daily commitment, Have a Great Week,
Coach Yulia

1 comment: