Monday, August 19, 2013

Five Years, Nine Doors, Labor Day


Five Years

Today is my son, Eli Tzvi's 5 year old birthday by the Hebrew Calendar, we will be celebrating for a month until the day he was born September 13.  He was born on Shabbat, so this past Saturday was his Torah Portion and he came home telling me that he is already five.  Sometimes I have a few ideas about what I want to do, but it really doesn't come together until the last minute.  The baby was home with my husband, I wanted to take the kids to the amazing park I taught Yoga at on Sunday, there were the coolest trees to climb.  I was low on gas, and was thinking originally to go to the beach, but it was cold today, then I was thinking to go to the Santa Monica Pier to ride some rides, and my kids decided that sounded like more fun than climbing trees, and it was closer so I was happy with the decision.


Eli Tzvi and I rode the roller coaster, it was his first time, and actually my first time on that one!!! I can't believe it took me 13 years to ride it.   I absolutely love it, it was pretty sharp curves and turns and fast at some points and it was very intense for my boy, but we made it, and he was excited that we did it.  Before that the kids went on an airplane, boat, and police car ride, my daughter was a little scared, but my son sat next to her and was a wonderful big brother.

Nine Doors - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mezuzah

Many observant Jews from all Jewish denominations have a qualified scribe check the mezuzot parchments for defects (such as small tears or faded lettering) at least twice every seven years.[4][5]

This was very interesting for me to read, we moved into our place a little over five years ago, I was probably 8 months pregnant with my first, our Rabbi came to put a Mezuzah on our door, he ended up putting nine.  We have nine entrance ways, everything but the bathroom needs to have one.  Many Jews in America only have one at their front door, I figure we are super protected :) So when my good friend suggested we check ours because our ceiling was falling on our head and our computer was hijacked, I thought it was a good idea, I told my husband to definitely do it this week, especially before the holidays coming up.

Labor Day

Our neighbor just had her fourth baby, her 5 year old daughter said the other day that when labor day comes, many women will be giving birth :) I thought that was very clever, I don't know if she even realized how mature and amazing that was. We are in a high production community when it comes to babies, so kids are always around this kind of conversation.  One of my Doula clients checked in with me today wondering if she was in labor, I feel so blessed.  Every woman, pregnancy, birth, and baby will be different every time.  Just stay present, open, and calm.

Coach Yulia

No comments:

Post a Comment